Tuesday 4 January 2011

Task 3c

Sources of information
An exploration of  information-networks investigating methods by which I and others gather information and how external sources are internalised.





My current Sources of information;
  • Facebook
  • Starnow
  • Friends
  • Parents
  • Employers
Joanna Adeyinka broke down the internet into sub-categories which I think is a great idea as it is such a extensive contrivance full of opportunities. A lot of my information-networks involve the internet. Outlining Google, is something I wouldn't have thought of and using IMDB to research directors etc is also something I could incorporate into my information networks. This may help me discover the professional practice I desire. When I'm honest about my networks it seems that I actually use different networks compared to the available networks that I am aware of or have used in the past.


My information-network internet sub-categories

  • Facebook
I use Facebook on a social level as well as a professional level. Dance Cast is available through facebook of which is a professional contact. At the moment this contact could be considered as dormant as I have yet to use them for an audition or employment. I think it would be a good idea to seperate my profile into two like Hayley Jayne Bence. If I established my professional contacts then maybe I could make better use of them. Friends within my Facebook have given me information for auditions through 'chat'.

  • Starnow/Dancers Pro
I have a profile on Starnow that probably needs a little care and attention, however I have gained employment from this contact. I took a year in Budapest through Starnow and often receive emails in my Hotmail account alerting me to appropriate castings. This is a great way to gain contacts and information as it allows the employer and potential employees to connect with ease. Dancers Pro works in much the same way. I regularly receive emails for coming auditions and job vacancies that I could be interested in.

Employer
I use Hotmail, text messaging and phone calls to connect with my employer. One employer of mine is a good friend and is more of a partner within the dance school that I teach at. We help each other source information from newspapers, other internet sites and word of mouth to help gain more part time employment.  

Another Employer sources work for me and pays me a salary. I know that it would probably be better for self employment to go alone but this contact employs me for various schools where I meet parents and children of all ages that want to dance, exercise or get active. This way I can promote my own business and meet people in my target market.

A company puts on classes for me to teach as a project to get the people in my area active. After a trial where they organise the hire of the room pay for it and my time I am encouraged to keep these classes going on my own. This is a fantastic contact, I have really enjoyed working with them and I have had many opportunities to create business. They often email me with information on courses and other classes in my area.

Parents/Friends
Friends have given me email addresses for casting directors and choreographers. Parents have also talked about classes they want or classes that are available for their children that I could teach. One particular parent at the dancing school got me a job teaching at an after school club at their child's primary school. Maintaining good contact with these people is important as it has proved effective already.

I have found that a lot of these information networks interlink and also cross over into people networks its all connected and maintaining good connections will hopefully help my developing professional persona.

No comments:

Post a Comment