Tuesday 1 May 2012

Blog about blogging

When looking through literature sources I found this Article in Athens. The 'Professional Strength & Conditioning'. This is an extract from an Interview by Dave Cripps with Vern Gambetta in a section called The Five People you Meet in Heaven. 'Dave is a strength and conditioning coach currently working at Leicester Tigers Rugby Academy and Coventry University.' Vern Gambetta is acknowledged as one of the most influential and experienced sports coaches in the world, having worked in the field for over 39 years. He has worked in athletic development across a vast number of sports including baseball, basketball, soccer, tennis, swimming and football. Furthermore, he has lectured internationally, been actively involved in coach education programmes, authored books and regularly writes on his acclaimed blog ‘Functional Path Training’


"DC: You have a great blog, mainly because you discuss

a variety of wide ranging topics and I genuinely believe

that you say what you honestly think. There are also

some other great coach blogs out there. Do you think

the blogging culture within the field, has led to certain

issues? I ask having read your blog post titled

‘intellectual incest’

VG: I never have had difficulty in saying what I think.

‘Intellectual incest’ really bothers me. In sport there

are few original ideas, we all stand on the shoulders of

giants. I believe that you MUST give credit where credit

is due. I have no tolerance for gurus and charlatans.

There are too many posers out there who have never

had to legitimately coach, supervising a weight room is

not coaching. I do read many blogs and training sites

on the internet, but there is too much bullshit and not

enough substance. I would rather read books, study

research and interact with people who are willing to

share ideas. Remember there is no filter on the

internet!

DC: So referring back to your previous statement, you

very much rely on your network of colleagues to learn

new things and develop?

VG: I sure do, and sometimes daily. There is a group

of us that are almost in constant communication. In

addition, there is the network from the GAIN

Apprentorship that is proving very valuable as a source

of good, solid information and for sounding. We may

not all agree, but we do speak a common language, so

we understand where everyone is coming from." [1]

The blogging process is extremely useful and I am now trying to reach professionals in my field outside the BAPP course. Vern Gambetta knows what he is talking about, he has extensive training and experience behind him and I look to him for inspiration. I now wish to extend my blogging networks as I feel this will be incredibly beneficial to my professional practise. Maybe one day my Blog will be as useful as Gambetta's.

Reference:
1. Cripps, D. 2009 Professional Strength and Conditioning: The Five People you Meet in Heaven No. 15 Autumn ed, UK Professional strength and conditioning assoc. [Online] http://lgdata.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/docs/566/52855/UKSCA_15.pdf

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this Aby - for anyone else who has questioned whether or not it is good to access Middlesex journals about what they do... this blog shows how beneficial it is for improving practice to look at literature (research and what professional have said about what they do) for their topic and jobs in the workplace - and this one also relates to sharing that practice!

    ReplyDelete