Monday 7 May 2012

Dance Training and Body Composition


Dance training is intensely physical and the body needs to be strong and healthy, well-nourished and powerful to perform” (Rose, E. 2012)

I’m so glad I stopped and read this blog from Emily Rose. In my inquiry I am looking at training dancers and specifically looking at the components of fitness within Body Conditioning classes. One of the components of fitness is Body Composition. This essentially is the percentage of body fat to lean muscle mass, bone and water. I have mentioned in my critical review that I don’t want to draw too much attention to this during the training as dancers are under a lot of pressure already to ‘look good’.  The conclusion of this blog sums this up perfectly as dancers need energy to move the way they do. Restricting the intake of nutrition will limit the progression of the dancers. Muscle atrophy, and fatigue due to lack of nutrition will inevitably lead to injury. More problems will also occur in later life, particularly with bone density. This means that if the essential vitamins, minerals and ‘good’ fats are restricted it can cause deficiencies in all parts of the body now, later on in a dancer’s career and here after.

Reference

No comments:

Post a Comment