Sunday 13 March 2011

SIG: Education and training, was it appropriate for your career?

SIG

Ok it has took me a while to get to this point. The SIG's allowed me to go off on a tangent and it took a while to realise that these, all be it, similar discussions of interesting topics, moved the focus from my own Inquiry. Helpful though these discussions are in finding a deep understanding of my own questions, my initial ideas ended up being diluted. SIG has created a great sense of community and a real feeling that we are all learning together. I thought I disagreed earlier with Mark's rant about SIG, conversely I am now feeling that I do have some issues with the whole discussion board ethos. I became lost when it came to making an actual commitment to one specific idea. I do feel that the advantages do greatly out weigh the disadvantages here though as so much can be learnt from such a rich community of learners.

Getting back to basics and trying not to tag along with an others Inquiry.  I do still want to think about how we are prepared for the big wide world in the later stages of education. I also feel that there are significant differences in the private and the public dance sector of education and I want to know why more isn't done to close the gap. I know one huge issue is money, as it looks now, the future isn't bright for funding in the Arts.

Why are Dance/MT colleges so exclusive still?
Why are so many reluctant to fund the Arts?
Why is there such a stigma when it comes to the levels of intelligence in the Arts?
Would an apprentice scheme work better in the 3rd year of the dance college experience?
Would those joining dance college at 16 benefit from a 4th year in this (apprentice) style of education?

Another Idea

How can dance help in Education?
Why is dance at such a low standard in schools?
This question is high on my list for Inquiry how can one be inspired to dance or others respect dance when it is so boring and basic in public schools? I understand we have dance schools for this but not everyone can afford the training that is needed.

1 comment:

  1. Lots of interesting comments here - as much as you are able choose one or two of these topics and find out something about them - through talking with other peer professionals or by searching out literature - directions form Campus 3 on my blog. Good talking to yourself in the blog though - it is this self-analysis that will be a valuable aspect of the course... what points will mean the most to your career currently or do you want to do something that looks ahead? That might guide the topic selection. Target your 3 literature reviews and sample interviews to your topic/inquiry questions.

    ReplyDelete