Monday 21 March 2011

Task 5b

The codes of practice/regulations which steer the ethical framework in the place of work/professional community.


http://www.education.gov.mt/ministry/doc/code_of_ethics.htm

I looked at this after reading Mark Illes blog and found it incredibly useful. It goes into a lot of detail about many ethical expectations that I hadn't considered before. For example, the relationship the teacher actually needs to have with a child's parent. In primary schools I don't often see the parents or the parents are not particularly interested in the part I play in their child's education, although it seems. Maybe I should make more of an effort to speak to parents after a dance club, this would probably help understanding and may even ensure future participation. This is very different at the dancing school. I wish I had more time to disclose information to parents. They love to know about progress and I have started to be more generous with my time although it is difficult.  I hope progress is evident enough in exam results, reports, presentations and shows.

In my original list of ethical considerations I failed to go into so much detail about professionalism, privacy and respect for all those that surround me. I focused more on the physical rather than the psychological responsibities I carry rather then what is required for creating a well rounded individual. On the other hand, I do think I pretty much covered most points. I feel in this case that good communication and common sense is important, conscientiousness is imperative.

http://www.comdance.asn.au/code-of-ethics  Here I found that reputation and standards protecting an organisations reputation came high on their list of ethical expectations. Self discipline and motivation next and empathy, with a good sense of morals. In my outlined points I only looked at "does" and not really at "don'ts", but rights and wrongs that surround the dance industry were oulined, for example one should not canvass students or steel choreography from another teacher. Id imagine this would come under being fair, considerate and professional.

http://www.ausdance.org.au/professional_practice/dance-industry-code-of-ethics.html
This site emphasized that one needs to share their passion, pass on knowledge gained through experience and give all they can to instill a positve vibe/view of dance.

My findings differ from my assumptions. Ethics are actually about whats right and whats wrong, whats expected and what is unacceptable. I did assume that ethics are for protection of everyone's best interests, however in my list I did not even consider those equal to me. I have a responsibility towards everyone that surrounds me within the industry, I should even consider a teacher at another "rival" dance school. Ethics really erg one to be as selfless as one can possibly be within reason. In future I need to consider all that is affected by my presence in this business. Like a drop in a pond, the ripples sometimes seem endless and being aware of the impact I create is fundamental for my understanding in what I offer as a positive contribution to the dance world. I was a little to direct before and focused mainly on the immediate effect I have on my students rather than the bigger picture.

1 comment:

  1. Learning about the ramifications of ethical practice is a very useful part of the social science part of the professional practice course - and Rosemary's treatment of it has gotten people to thinking more about it - and this is evident in your blog.

    ReplyDelete