Wednesday 6 April 2011

Task 5c

How what I have learn't fits into the theoretical ethical framework and my professional inquiry?

Consequentialism

Looking at consequentialism as one theoretical approach to ethics, I have found it has its foundations within 'utilitarianism and the writings of Jeremy Bentham and JS Mill.' (Course reader Part 5) In my own words I would describe it as an act for the "greater good". Where the act itself greatly out ways any negative outcomes as its positive ramifications are justifiable.

An example of this in my own professional experience would be to exclude a disruptive student from a class of dancers to help the rest maintain focus. Exclusion will not help the individual but sometimes in a studio environment a particular student could antagonise the atmosphere and prevent  the learning for others. It could even cause injury from lack of concentration from other participating individuals.

Deontology

Based on duty the ethical reasoning behind deontology's greatest exponent Immanuel Kant's (1779) argument 'that the only absolutely good thing is a good will.' (Course reader Part 5) Lying is unacceptable and one should help an other no matter what personal desires one has.

I can relate to this on a level. Teachers have to be reliable, knowledgeable and trustworthy. How can you learn from someone you do not believe? Helping students with there studies no matter how much you agree or disagree with their own ethics is imperative. You are not a good teacher if you do not help, nurture and support an individual learning.

Virtue ethics

An approach that focuses on an individuals personality, their moral integrity, values and habitual fortitude. Traced back to the Greek ancient thinkers Plato and Aristotle, a greater emphasis was put on 'being rather than doing'(Course reader Part 5) . Aristotle considered virtues to be mid points between two extremes.

I think to be a good teacher you need virtues. I agree that moral behavior and character is as important as action. Students judge their learning from a teachers behavior and character. If a teacher had bad character and poor behavior how can one respect another?



Negotiation with employers, and communication with parents and co-workers is imperative for professionalism and good practice in ethics. Moral issues are imbued with questions of value. The higher you value your profession and those involved, the higher the need to practice good work ethics. However, would I ignore personal beliefs and values to fit a criteria within a work post? How do you get the balance right for everyone's best interests?

In the work place I know my professional duty and what one ought to do. Although, If a child was hurt and needed comfort I think it would be OK within reason to offer appropriate support rather than pushing a child away for fear of accusation. You can't always please everyone. I was once taught in a first aid course that when responsible for someones child when teaching I am acting as locus parentise, it would be my responsibilty to act accordingly when a child is in danger of hurting himself or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment