Wednesday 22 December 2010

Campus session; The Networked Professional

It has taken me a while to publish this one. I wanted to give it some more thought before I put it out there. I really enjoyed the Campus session on the 10/11/10. It was the only one I have been able to attend so far, I was starting to worry that I was missing too much and was relieved when I found that I could make it. This session was an opportunity to get to know other people on the BAPP course and to touch base with everyone and everything. This I feel was a day of networking. I met some very interesting people those including the course leaders and tutors. A worth while day.

We were first given some time to think about our current networks and how we use them. Individually we made mind maps of all our perceived networks there roles, benefits and possible outcomes, meanings, values and how we engage and interact with them. I was slow at start it wasn't something I had really actively considered before, I was a little nervous and self conscious, was I doing this right? I completed my current network map thinking about all the different elements that affect them and the way in which they affect me.

Leading the session Alan then asked us to pair up and discuss our thoughts and network maps. Natalie Less was my partner and we discussed our current networks and how some networks or 'friends' in the business can sometimes be negative. This is something that I had privately thought before and hadn't spoken out load about. I think this is really unfortunate, I have always tried to help others and I have told people about auditions etc. Maybe I'm not cut out for this cut throat business. We also had very similar networks and agreed on a lot of points.

In groups we discussed this further and came together to create a presentation on our thoughts and idea's. Joanna Adeyinka had a lot of ideas that really helped to put all our networks into specific groups. Together we discussed her idea of Giving, Receiving and Equals in network connections. For example; the idea that you give to your students, receive from your elders or agents and are equal to those in the same field.

In more detail we...

Give to;
-Students
-Friends
-Charity
-Up and coming performers

Receive from;
-Internet- Facebook, Starnow, Dancers Pro, Dance International and Emails from other Casting directors and Employers.
-Text - The Stage, Spotlight and Contacts Book.
-Individuals - Agent, Teachers/Tutors, Friends and People we may meet along the way.

Equal to;
-Past and present collegues
-Friends in the same field or at the same stage in career
-BAPP Students

Another idea is that networks are like ripples, or circles that surround us. However, the closer the circle to us does not always mean a better outcome can be achieved in comparison to a connection from further afield. Alan made a very good point on this and commented on frequency. We may have a lot of contact with close networks but may only ever get the same outcome from a network that we have contact with only once. Having a wide range of contacts is very important when networking.

We found that networks are seasonal. There are times in which certain networks will be incredibly useful and others when they may lay dormant. When and where these networks are most significant completely depends on ones employment at the time. For example, while I am working in Primary Schools, in after school clubs, I do not need to be sourcing contacts that can get me more of the same work when I am already fully booked. The same applies when auditioning. When I did not have a contract connections were far more important. In contrast, as discussed in the session, it is always essential to keep contact with all areas of ones networks to stay current and in mind for future employment. One does not want to be 'Out of sight, out of mind!'

Accessing the above I feel I need to make more of an effort to keep up with my networks. Sourcing work using current networks and trying to expand these connections is something I need to work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment