Wednesday 22 December 2010

Task 2d Inquiry

Where to start?

I wasn't sure where to start or what angle to go with. I suppose if im honest I am enthusiastic about choreography and performance. I love to create shapes that have a narrative or meaning. Dances that provoke thought or emotion to music that equally compliments the importance of the story, I find extremely rewarding.

I would like to find out more about the inspirations behind other choreographers particularly those in the field of contemporary dance. I like the idea of combining genres to create something different. When choreographing I try to think outside the box and I like to use subjects that express a proverb.

I love that I can use the dancing school I teach at as a blank canvass to create interesting pieces of performing art. In some classes in particular I can really explore difficult choreography as the students are at a standard of technique and flexibility equivalent to professionals.

I admire my dance teachers before me that created such interesting pieces. More so at the dancing school then at college. I found the teachers I had had something very special, I was lucky to learn from such professionals as they were working professionals themselves and still are.

I am really enthusiastic about combining styles of dance within a dance piece. Using music that you wouldn’t necessarily associate with certain dance styles I find really interesting and if you get it right quite beautiful. Using material to create shapes and work with I feel adds another dimension.

Money and lack of organisation frustrates me, I wish I could have a PA, not many people have this privilege and it’s something I could really benefit from. I am determined to improve admin and communication skills, by soldiering through everything I tackle asking as many questions as possible to those who support me. I am sad that I don’t have a bigger number of dancers to work with more often. For this I need money or funding to support wages etc. To alleviate my angst about limited funds, I choreograph for advanced students at the dancing school, this allows me to explore ideas and release some creative energy.

I admire choreographers that work with nothing that can dance and not worry about money and bills. Those who have nothing, but work so hard no matter what the outcome I envy the most. They have no interest in earning a living and strive for that one goal. I wish I had this motivation and faith. I have always backed myself up with employment and qualifications, I know this is very sensible of me. Maybe I need to be a little bit mad to be an innovator or choreographic genius. To win big time you have to gamble everything you’ve got, at present for me it is not practical to take this route, I aspire to learn and grow. One day, hopefully I can create something of my own that I can be proud of.

'What subject would create an interesting, thought provoking choreographical piece, combining different dance and music styles to portray something poignant?'

4 comments:

  1. I found this interesting Abygail. I am a big fan of exploring different cultures within dance and choreography. I have worked in Egypt where
    I learned belly dancing. Have you ever tried it? Believe me it is a far cry from the western styles we learn in Britain. I think you could create an interesting piece by incorporating dance aspects from other countries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belly dancing is something I have never considered! I think culture is a great inspiration. I shall give it a go especially as the area I live in is so culturally diverse. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aby I like the idea that one day you will be able to just teach and choreograph for the shear fun of it. I would like this to be in that situation myself one day!What would you do if money wasn't an issue you had to contend with anymore?Just the otherday I found myself in a conversation within the cast talking about what we would do if we won the lottery.I was amazed to find that myself and only one other member would like continue performing.I can't imagine not have dance in my life no mater how much money I had!They say money makes the world go round but for me its music that keeps me alive.Have you thought maybe using 'Money' as a choreographical idea? In the sense that not all that comes from money is positive and from a choreographical point of view could show an array of dynamics and emotions which might allow you to combine different cultural styles and dance genres based around this one subject?We all need money but for different reasons.
    I hope this is the sort of idea you were looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Rebecca Jane this could be a better line of inquiry for me! I share your passion for music and performance and money is such a factor in life that it is difficult to avoid it. I know "money doesnt make you happy" as such but it would give us choices (and would probably make me happy!).

    I also like the idea of fundamental basic instincts. Innate impulses that make us thrive for equilibrium. Money provides these intrinsic desires with a little ease and comfort. Food for thought!

    ReplyDelete