Tuesday 28 December 2010

Task 3a Current Networks

Looking inward at how I engage with my current networks and using the campus session I became aware of the fact that I only engage with Networks 'Seasonally'. By this I mean I use them at times when work in a particular area is not fulfilling my needs as a professional. To have a really successful network I feel I need to put more effort into all contacts to secure the knowledge that I am available and capable of work. Therefore improving and developing my current networks.

Technology is the most convenient and effective way to keep connected. Conversely, It is still important to remember that social networking is also very effective. Word of mouth can be very powerful and I found when my classes started that most people had heard about the class through a friend or through someone that had participated before. As technology is progressing it is getting easier to rely on them, becoming lazy when it comes to connecting with people, particularly clients is something I am guilty of. When someone adds a personal touch or makes a special effort it is usually appreciated or reciprocated. I have to find a way to connect with potential clients in a way that reaches them on a personal level. Something to think about.

Our generation relies on technology for networking, it is ever increasing and will always be developing. Now that word of mouth doesn't reach so far and technology is growing it is getting easier to reach more people at a quicker rate. Advertising, through emails, posters, letters and leaflets.

I have a number of contacts including those I use through and with employers. A company sources clubs and PE Sessions in my area for me to coach. I teach for them everyday and we engage via email, phone calls and text messages. Text messages are the most effective way of contact when working, as I can not access emails or phone calls when driving or teaching. I can simply read a message when convenient. If I had a smart phone (with easy internet access) This would be a lot more effective, I could access my email account as well as phones messages.

There are many tools, nodes and methods in which I personally network, many of which discussed in my Campus Session Blog previous. The tool I feel I favor most is my phone. This I use to engage with all my employers and clients.

I have a dongle (USB Broadband) that allows me access to the internet when I am mobile but it is not always convenient to have a laptop on my person. This is a great tool that I use frequently when at home or at a friends house to get on with some much needed correspondence.

Various factors influence the capacity of nodes to form connections. Once a network has been established, the flow of information can move from one domain to another with relative ease. The stronger the connection between nodes, the more rapidly information will flow. (Seimens 2005) (http://www.astd.org/LC/2005/1105_seimens.htm)

I frequently use mobile phones and the internet, one node of which actively affects my day to day networking is email. I give, share and receive emails from colleagues, Friends, Employers and Agencies on a regular bases this keeps me connected and helps me organise my work.

Another node which is very important to me is Facebook. I use this social networking site to source clients from friends for dance classes. I use my status to advertise classes and use conversations on chat to get friends talking. I regularly receive emails from Dance Cast via Facebook, although I have yet to use this casting agency. This is because I am not in a 'season' that requires further development in this area of my professional practice. I have tried Linkedin I think if I had the time I could put a little more effort into usng this site to make meaningful positive professional connections.

I have friends that have contacts on various cruise ships. Once upon a time this was a career that I had thought I wanted to take up. Now, I admire the way in which my friends have networks that include at least a few performers/dance captains and choreographers on different contracts. Using their networking skills and these friendships, friends have managed to get new contracts traveling aboard better Cruise Liners.

This is apparent on Facebook. Using this social networking site to keep up with friends, little effort is needed to maintain these friendships. This applies to my own current networking skills and will help develop and maintain useful friendships. As Laura Jane Wier said it is important to make sure these friends do not feel used when you need them, I completely agree. Maintaining a caring attitude and using good social skills will keep these friendships ripe. After all, they probably have the same intentions as you. Once the affiliation has been made it if often the case that people want to help each other.

My ideal network would probably be in the educational field, people more qualified and experienced then I, that could help or advise me along the way. A larger network of successful professionals might actually help me decide on a career path. I think a pocket of friends in many fields of the industry would have great benefits. Agents, Directors, Producers, Teachers past and present, people still training and friends at the same level as I would all be people I would be interested in networking with.

Realistically, to improve my networks I need to spend more time to make connections with friends. At parties and get togethers I could actually network a little better and meet more people in the same industry, then keeping friendships and nurturing them using sites such as Facebook online.

I do not know enough about social networking online. If I'm honest other than Facebook, I like to stay away from new and unknown sites like Linkedin and Twitter, as I feel that I don't have enough time to put into them. I need to find time and I need to explore the wide spectrum of internet networking sites available to me.

From this I repeatedly see excuses that involve time. Maybe the actual fault at play here is organisation of time. I have found that I struggle to prioritise work and lack the motivation to correct this. New Year, New Resolutions, time to motivate, prioritise and organise my Professional Practice!

References:

'Connectivism: Learning as Network-Creation' By George Siemens
(http://www.astd.org/LC/2005/1105_seimens.htm)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Aby

    You say you feel you don't know enough about social networking online. Other than facebook I don't bother with sites like twitter either. Even if I did have the time I personally feel I have to draw a line between socially networking and just wasting time being nosey. For me twitter is just used like an online diary for people even more than facebook. I don't have the desire to follow anyone to the extent I know what they ate for breakfast. I like to feel my time is used productively maybe this is the reason you don't want to invest time in these sights either. I like your idea about exploring the wider spectrum of networking sights. I’m now going to go and explore other sights that could be of benefit to me.
    Thanks for the insight.

    ReplyDelete